Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shift Kit Install ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 14, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Going to be doing the Shift kit install hopefully this weekend... It's a TH400 anyone dont this before? Pointers? Difficulty? INSTRUCTIONS?

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I put one in my TH350, I didnt have any trouble with it. Just follow the instructions that come with it

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Edelbrock intake & carb, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

HEy dude-
    Last weekend i just rebuilt the whole TH-400 <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw>PIC'S</a>.... so a shift kit should be pretty easy.

Keep track of those check balls when they drop out.
    Count em...
    400's are supposed to have 6 or 7 check balls.
    mine had 5.
    usually when you have 6 or 7 the rebuild manual told me to leave one out because it is non functional... but in my tranny it was already removed.
    You just have to pay attention to where the check balls go.
    And be careful getting the governor pipes and all the bolt holes for the valve body lined up you don't want to tweek a gasket by bending, pinching, etc. I punctured a gasket getting it lined up. a very small hole... but i cought it and couldn't put it back together that way! fortunatly the rebuild kit included that one gasket i punctured.[​IMG] And torque down the valve body like you would do a head gasket.

Let me know if you want me to scan and send you the diagrams of checkball locations if you need it.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

4. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

If it is a TCI, go to TCI's web site. They have online copies of the instructions that they send in their kits. The online ones are usually alot BETTER than the junk photocopies that they send. Otherwise, just follow directions. One of the more FUN parts, besides lining up everything when it goes back together, is the pump pressure relief valve. That is a real treat! Otherwise, not too bad.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I put on in a TH350, it was a B&amp;M. It wasn't too bad. The only advice I can give you is pay real close attention to the instructions &amp; take your time.

Good Luck

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots