Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shift Kit this Weekend

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Mar 27, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Okay me and another guy from the shop are puttin a shift kit in my 700 this weekend. Any thing I should know or watch out for? Setting the TV cable kinda worries me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Putting one in my th350 was pretty straight forward, I would imagine the 700 isnt too different

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

it's pretty easy. i did mine about 3 weeks ago. i put the rv/heavy duty version in mine. i don't really care for the way it raised up my shift points though. i'm thinking about going back to stock and just getting the corvette servo. that way i get my old shift points and still get a firmer shift. that's what i've heard it would do anyway.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Who did you get the shift kit from? I always get the Trans-go kit, it comes with a video. I think you got the B&M...

If so, just follow the directions step for step. Shouldnt be too hard. Also you should not have to readjust your TV cable. It sets at the back of the TBI and shouldnt need touching, but I could be wrong.

All you are doing is changing the valvebody plate and two gaskets. Also prolly changing a couple of servo springs. Once again follow the directions. If you have three choices for shift firmness pick the one in the middle.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

It is a B&M and at the end of the instructions it says reset the TV. Me and the boys will figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Thanks guys

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I do know how to set a TV cable... Duh.. sorry.

There is a spring loaded (for lack of a better way to describe it) little clip behind your throttle linkage. You will see this adjuster by the TBI and its hooked to the TV cable.

Push the button in (usually silver in color) and slide the adjuster all the way back. After its all the way back, get in the truck and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor slowly. (with the truck off of course) You will hear some clicks as the TV cable adjusts.

It is now set and should be fine. You can fine tune it very little if need be.

Hope this helps,
    John [​IMG]

7. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status