Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shift kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrhoes, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I am about to rebuild my 700r4 in my Blazer and am trying to decide what i am going to put in it. right now it is just going to be a stock rebuild, i know i am going to put a corvette servo in it and trying to decide to put a shift kit in or not? the guy i work with that is going to rebuild it says i should put one or the other and see how i like it and go from there. I am running a 305 with 14SF rear and 10 bolt frt with 4.10s and a np208 with 35s or 36s, so i dont have a lot of horsepower to break much. thanks

2. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I could be mistaken, but i have always been told that a shift kit is actually good for your tranny, becasue it allows for less slippage..in the one truck that i owned with an auto i put a mild shift kit in it and loved it..

4. bagged beast

bagged beast Registered Member

I have been told that they are better because they dont burn the clutch packs and as far as breaking goes i dont think you would break anything. Now i could see if you were running 600 horsepower but thats not the case

5. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

mrhoes,

I rebuilt my 700R4 in my 87 K20 and one thing to put in yours, is the 3-4 clutch pack that has 9 disks in it. I installed a master kit with Kevlar clutches and Kolene steel plates, and a 2nd gear Corvette servo, a Billet servo for 4th gear, a Sun Beast shell, new boost valves, etc.