Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shift Kit???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 12, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

What exactly is a shift kit, there's a guy selling a freshly rebuilt TH350 tranny with a shift kit, for $250 but I dont know what a shift kit is I've heard alot about the kits but never really paid attention to those posts, any help thanks.
    ps. how much does a shift kit cost who ever has one should know thanks again.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. Tulkas

Tulkas Registered Member

Shift Kits make your Transmission change gears exceptionaly HARD.(what causes automatic to bark the tires in 2nd, etc), but bad on U-joints and drivtrain over time.

If you were putting it in a ....say...77 Firebird Trans/AM. I could see, but not practical in a K-5.

I have enough slack in my 77 K-5 without tearing up somthing else. :)

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks Tulkas, I dont need anymore problems with my u-joints I have enough as it is, I guess I'll stick to my regular 350 untill I get the money for my new TH400.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

All shift kits make the tires bark when shifting into 2nd......I don't think so.
    There are many different types and brands of "shift kits". The purpose of a shift kit is to alter the shifting characteristics of an automatic transmission to better suit what the vehicle is being used for. There are a lot of kits marketed as an "RV" or "towing" kit which are meant to slightly firm up the shifts and in turns makes the shift quicker. The idea is that the less time it takes the trans to shift, the less time the clutches spend slipping and generating heat, which is the main enemy of an automatic transmission. If done right, they can help improve both the shift quality and life of the trans. Yes, there are shift kits out there meant for drag racing that will cause the tires to "bark" even at half throttle and are not practical for a street driven vehicle.
    Anyway, see if the guy with the tranny knows exactly what type of shift kit is in it and go from there.

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Oh I thought they were all the same but I'll call the guy today and ask him

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Nope,, not all the same,, when I had mine rebuilt I had a "Mild" shift kit put in.. only $25.00

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound