Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shift kits-good or bad

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Feb 12, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well i been thinkin and would a shift kit on the 87 700 r4 be a helper, it would be the one for rv/tow or whatever, and i heard that they can be bad on a 700, whats your opinion...thanks..

2. VitaminK5

VitaminK5 Registered Member

Take the strip version for control of choosing and holding the shift point. Had two of them already both were B&M kits. Do it clean and well lit and they're not bad at all. On the truck it didn't make any difference besides holding the gear for me when I wanted it. On the mustang it was like someone putting me on a catapult through 1st and 2nd. 3rd to 4th was regular in my opinion. No damage or quicker burning fluid.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 91 and the only complaint I have is that it downshifts hard into 1st when running in drive, which I do most of the time.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A moderate shift kit will make the tranny last longer.
    It gets rid of the slipping of the clutches between gears that causes them to wear. A HD/RV shift kit and a big tranny cooler is how they should have come from the factory!

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I put a stage one setup in my 700r along with the biggest cooler I could find.....My A/C condenser /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And so far it work just find for me.
    I did read where someone had put a stage two in his 700r and if I remember right he had problems with something damn if I can remember what right off hand sorry.

Eric

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

My local tranmission shop would not offer a warranty on my 700r4 rebuild without a shift kit and a auxilary cooler. works well, 85,000miles so far, (my original died at 70,000) the only thing I've noticed is an occasional hard downshift.

7. mudober

mudober Registered Member

<font color="blue"> </font color> I have the b&amp;m rv kit in my 700r4 also.Like some of the others I get a hard downshift and also a hard 1-2 upshift.I think its hard on my driveline.If I had to do it again I would just go with a good quality stock kit with asbestes linings.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had one put in my tranny when it was rebuilt...it shifts hard into 2nd when its cold, otherwise i love it...as far as it being hard on the driveline, it might be...my rear end (10 bolt with 145k at the time) took a crap right after i had it rebuilt with the kit though...maybe it was just its time, or maybe the shift kit killed it, i dont know

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard its not good for them to out a shift kit in an old tranny, with a lot of miles that hasnt been rebuilt...with a rebuild though it should be fine

10. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Hard on driveline ...NO, ujoint yes, a "little" but as long as it's under load it's not bad at all! This is from a builder who has been doing it for 50 years!! He wont build one with out a mild kit and guarantee it, BUT he doesn't add plates he adds a few balls in valve body and or removes a few balls. Also changes servo and uses a vacum modulator from a diesel with the same tranny, via th 350 or 700r4 etc. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

mudbogAD has a B&amp;M stage 2 in his th350 and with 4.56s and 35s he could chirp em into second. but now that the WOW factor is gone, he doesn't like it, hes goin to a stage 1 soon and so am i.

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a B&amp;M stage 2 in my TH350, with 3:73's and 35's it'll chirp going into 2nd sometimes.
    Maybe i'm "hardcore" but i love the snappy shift into the next gear in my auto trannys. It's exactly what i wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

In high school I had a 305 z28 that had 115k on it when I put a shift kit in.It was a B&amp;M stage 2. It held up to high school kid stupidity until it was stolen with 135k on it. It still shifted great, and the fluid wasn't burnt until the entire car was by the theives.
    --
    I have heard a shift kit adds to tranny life by reducing slippage.The only things better are fluid changes and an effective cooler.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are shift kits good or bad......The answer is both/it depends. Firming up the shift will reduce the amount of clutch slippage which will reduce heat and help save the fluid (as well as less wear on the clutches), but as in everything, moderation is the key. Depending on what you have in front of the tranny, and or behind it, a shift that is too quick or too hard can affect other parts of the driveline (u-joints, rearend, tranny interals, etc.). Hard shifts can be tough on sun-gears, input and output shafts, etc. and can actually lessen the life of the tranny, unless other parts are "beefed" as well.

A Mild shift kit (mainly pump and valve body modifications) will help just about any tranny, but when you start getting into "heavier duty" mods, it will depend on the rest of the components as to whether or not it is good.

For a Stock 700, I would say go mild and add a good cooler, and possibly a remote filter. They are a good tranny, but not the best (especially in stock form). Also the year of the tranny (700) can make a big difference. Doing a search here and online will give you some good info on which years are better than others and why (mostly input shaft and valvebody differences).