Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shift kits, who's done em?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

And how hard are they to install? Specifically on a 700R4? I am in the middle of changing the fluid and filter on mine and since the warrenty has just expired, I thought that it would be a perfect time to install one. Sooooo how difficult are they to install?

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Any specific brand and type of shift kit?

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I put the B&M shift kit in mine. The hardest part was making sure the little balls stayed in the right hole (that's funny) when you put the valve body back on.
    When I had to get the whole thing rebuilt a year later, the tranny guy told me putting that kit in there wasn't the best idea. He installed a trans-go kit of some sort with the rebuild.

4. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

What I am planning on putting in is a B&M shift improver kit. I don't think that it's a true shift kit. From what I've read it basically firms up the shifts and slightly raises the shift points.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Nuff said? The shift kit thats as easy as an oil change, will get you to rebuild SOONER. Old 700s need internal upgrades to get more performance. Actually, they all do.:haha:

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

My Dad was in the tranny business for 30 years and he always went with TransGo for shift kits. None of them ever had any problems..

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

whoever tells someone that a shift kit is "as easy as an oil change" is crazy. Hard? no not at all. As easy as an oil change? nope. You are dealing with an automatic transmissions, its not a drain plug and an oil filter. I really wonder how so many people install shift kits when so few own inch pound torque wrenches...(since almost all torque specs in a transmission are in inch pounds not foot pounds)

8. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

My wife got it for me for our 23rd anniveresry and I am somewhat imtimidated by an auto trany. I may just take to to a guy I know that runs a local shop and see if he'll put it in and let me watch if I give him a case of beer.:D

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mine in my th400 was cake. Hardest part was putting a spring n and getting the C clip on while under the truck but not too bad. I did mine at 2-3AM the morning of a mud bog because I was tired of the 400 taking second gear at 5k rmp even if locked in 1st and a 350 that would turn 7500Rs.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i did one and did a write up step by step over a year ago.. I keep asking as politely as I can for steve to upload, but he keeps forgetting, so i'm no help. unless anyone knows how to ask him to upload it so that he remembers? Steve fox :) you reading, lol

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

23 years, congrats!:D