Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SHIFT KITS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 12, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Is there any thing bad about Shift IMPROVER Kit? All I know is they shift hard and sposibally make the trannys job easer. Does the hard shift get annoying? I was looking at B&M's and they have 2 stage. Also how hard are they to install? Its going in a 700R4. BTW whats the difference between the regular shift kit and the complete Transkit?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok, adam (mudbogad) and i installed a stage 2 in his jimmy's th350, it was technical but not hard at all. (two 17yr old kids installed one in a driveway under a lifted k5) as for the shifts, it would kill me. adams not really happy with the stage 2 either. a stage 1 would have been awesome! i'm gonna put one in my suburban's th400. oh and it was a B&M shift improver kit. and yes they do make the the tranny's job easier.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

How hard you feel the shifting depends on you vehicle setup. If I stick some little 33's on, It barks the tires and moves the rig pretty well. When I go back to the 40's, It doesnt feel all that bad.

I believe the shift kit comes with the new gaskets and plating to reroute the existinge fluid some in the stock transpack for a firmer shift. The transpack replaces the stock transpack and I believe, costs more. You should be fine with a regular shift kit.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How hard you feel the shifting depends on you vehicle setup. If I stick some little 33's on, It barks the tires and moves the rig pretty well. When I go back to the 40's, It doesnt feel all that bad.

[/ QUOTE ] true. adam had 35s that he could chirp into 2nd but his 40 aren't as bad.