Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shift Points on 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Crash90K5, Jun 9, 2000.

1. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

My recently rebuilt 700R4 was chuggin' along just fine. Made a 2 hour trek for some night MX racing, and when I left, the darn thing didn't want to shift into 2nd. Pulled over and thought about it for a sec, and tried again. I don't have a tach, but it seemed like it was well over 3500 rpm when it finally shifted. Same thing for 3rd (although not as high rpm). It's not slipping, and I still have compression braking when the gearshift is in "1". My question is: can the shift points on this tranny be modified without pulling the tranny out? Could it be the TV linkage? If so, where is it, and how to adjust?

Thanks

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaking, the 700R4 shifting points are controlled by the ECM (computer) You may want to look into that area......Det45

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The computer controls only torque converter lockup on the 700R4. It controls shifting on the 4L60E tranny, which is the computerized replacement for the 700R4.

To adjust the TV cable on a 700R4 you have to remove the air cleaner and look for the cable that runs from the carb or throttle body to the tranny. It has a large black plastic fitting where it attaches to the bracket that's holding it in place. On that fitting there's a D-shaped metal button that's slightly recessed in the plastic around it. Press that button and pull the cable housing towards the back of the truck. It should come out an inch or so.

Next, get inside the truck and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor. This will cause the TV cable to reset itself to the correct position.

Hope this solves the problem, but I'll be surprised if it does. That behavior doesn't sound good. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

I dug into my Haynes manual, and finally found the darn thing. Even with the air cleaner off, the TV cable is hidden by its bracket. Had a heck of a time getting both hands in there. Anywhoo, pulled the housing out about 1/2" and she shifts better now, than when I picked her up from the tranny shop. $WEET! I had visions of NV4500 and 205 floating in my head for a couple of days. Hopefully it'll hold up for the trek out to Colorado!

Later,

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Glad to hear that fixed your problem. Since you aren't going to need that NV4500 now, just send it to my house... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com