Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shift Points?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by danny7139, Jul 11, 2006.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

What mph should the shifting of gears on a 700r4? I think mine is shifting late. Also I have 33's on the truck and I guess according to a radar, the speedo is off about 7 mph. Should it be off this far with just 33's?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Depends on the speedo gearing . I am off 5 mph at 55 , and the faster I go the more it is off . I have a 700r4 and 33's . I verified with my USB GPS and my laptop .

As for shift points it depends on throttle position/load . I usually in city driving hit second from a stop before I am out of an intersection , shifting usually around 2800 rpm .

I am in overdrive cruising by 45 mph driving nicely .

3. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the rpm as I don't have a tachometer but I'll hook the timing light up and see somehow. The tranny shifts so smooth, like its new. But I'm wondering if its holding back the acceleration. Before the 350 rebuild it had more seat of the pants feeling. I'm just wondering if the shifting got messed up, or maybe I'm crazy. Because if you really step into it from a stop the engine sounds like it revs alittle high before the shift.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The tranny shifts based on throttle input via the cable .

My uneducated guess is the old engine was tired and needed more throttle , new engine makes more power and needs less throttle . So it shifts easier as you aren't on it as much .

I am expecting the same when I yank out my 305 and go with the one piece main motor I scored :thumb:

5. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

sounds right, but my brother keeps saying that before the rebuild the engine felt like it had more power and you could burn out with it easily. With the motor now you have to push on it alot more according to him. He doesn't believe it could burn out now either. I wouldn't let him try nor did I try it myself. Personally I don't think he remembers what it used to be like before. I don't believe that a truck that size with a old 200,000 mile 350 could burn out easily. I was just wondering if I had the tranny not setup right. One thing though, when I dropped the engine in the flywheel wasn't right up against the torque converter and we pulled the converter foward about 1/2 inch to contact for the bolts to be put in. You don't think that would screw the tranny do you?