Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shift rod differences?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, May 7, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'm curious if the thread on the gm shift rods are all the same. i've got one of roadnotca's sweet shifter knobs and i'm switching from a 700/208 combo to a 465/205 combo and want to know if the knob will swap over to either of these shift rods. thanks.

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

with some JB weld, any thing will stick.

3. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

4. colbystephens

i don't know - i've had lots of problems w/ jb weld. any other thoughts?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking you should tune up your JB Weld skills. A very essential skill to have. :wink1:

Just get a perfect 50/50 mix, stir it up well, slap it together, and DON'T touch it for at least a day. If you go past the working time, or screw with it when it's not cured, then it won't go well.

6. colbystephens

yeah, i know how to use the jb, just isn't strong enough for me. the d@mn locksmith tried to jb weld my tailgate handle back together after he broke it, and it lasted a couple days. then i had to replace the tailgate handle, swap the lock cylinder which i paid way too much for into that handle and install the handle. i spent way too freaking much to realize that in one hour i could do the same job they did in three and a half hours.

7. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

well we arent talking about a moving part here. just a shift knob. it stays stationary to the shift rod, therefore doesnt see a whole lot of stress.

8. colbystephens

you're right. the shift rods are never moved - they're entirely stationary. no one ever uses shift rods on this board - we are just mall crawlers and add 465 or triple stick shift rods for the looks - we never touch them tho. :wink1:

so no one has a straight up answer?

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  9. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

you know what i meant. have you gotten the old knob off yet? just try it and tell us if it works.

10. colbystephens

i won't have my new gear boxes till the end of july, and i want to know if my current knob will fit. otherwise, i would have just tried it. ;) it would have cut a lot of bs that way. :D

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just pulled the shifter knobs off, the 465 shifter is 3/8" x 24 TPI (UNC), the 205 shifter is 7/16" x 18 TPI (UNC)

Hope that helps...

Rene

12. colbystephens

that's great, thanks!

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

And I *think* that the 203 knob that I used to have was the same as my 205 knobs, though that has nothing to do with your application. Sorry. :dunno:

14. colbystephens

that's cool - maybe it will help someone else out. any one know what the thread is on a 208 shift rod? i could perhaps check mine, but my truck is about 30 min away and i don't have the proper equipment.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Alright, I just went out in the dark and checked the shifter on an 85 K5 with a 208. Looks like 7/16-14 threads. Don't think it'll work for you.

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it was 18 TPI? Oh and UNC stands for "Unified National Coarse". 7/16 UNC is 14 TPI, 7/16 UNF is 20 TPI. 3/8-24 is a UNF thread. 7/16-18 would be pretty nonstandard, and not UNC or UNF. I'd go measure my 205 shifter, but my stupid tap and die set came with 2 metric thread guages instead of one of each. :mad: That's always annoying.

Either way, I can assure you that the 205 is not coarse like the 208 is.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL, I was having a retard moment. Had a neighbor come over while I was posting and I got a bit distracted. UNF for both, and 20 tpi on the 7/16" sounds right. I was gonna double check before posting...sorry for any confusion. :doah:

Just to be more clear the 465 thread is 3/8" fine thread and the 205 is 7/16" fine thread.

Rene

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ok, cool. Just wanted to check. I wouldn't put it past GM to use something odd like 7/16-18 anyway. I've seen stranger things.:rolleyes: Probably just 7/16-20 though.

So Colby, what is this shift knob you speak of made out of anyway? I'm sure there's a way to make it compatible with your new shifter. Either drill it out and install a threaded insert of some sort, or try forcing it on even with the wrong thread pitch, or weld a nut (aluminum or steel if you have a metal shift knob) to the bottom of it that's the right size, etc. I would just drill out the hole in the knob to 7/16, pack it with JB weld, and slip it in. The major diameter of the threads on the 205 shifter will be 7/16, so it will fit snugly in a 7/16" hole. The minor diameter of the threads will pack up with the excess epoxy, and give it a better grip. If done properly with clean surfaces, I assure you, the knob WILL NOT come off. That's with REAL JB weld though, don't mess with that JB Kwik stuff.

19. colbystephens

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well then, not too easy to weld to I suppose.:crazy: Not easy to ream out with a drill bit either, plastic likes to chunk out when you're stepping up drill bit sizes. Especially the #2 ball...don't ask me how I know. You could just try ramming it onto the different threads though. It may work, might not.