Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shifter difference between 10 spline and 32 spline 465/205 setups

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Jan 16, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

OK, this is insane.

I noticed while putting the "new" 465 and 32 spline adapter in my truck, that the shifter bolt for the 205 seems to be further back on the adapter. I've got an '86 K5 tub, and the 10 spline 465/205 fit ok, although the shifter wasn't lined up perfectly driver/passenger side, it was fine front/rear.

So I went and measured the distance from the tranny to the bolt hole on the 10 spline setup...close to 4". Same distance on the 32 spline? 6.5" give or take.

Anyone else run into this? Certainly not something I was expecting to have problems with. I'm really not looking forward to finding a newer 1 ton tunnel, cutting mine out, and putting the newer one in. I don't have the transmission crossmember bolted in, but from eyeballing it underneath, the 32 spline 205 shifter handle pulled all the way back, will probably be very close to the rear seam where the tranny tunnel is welded in, which is nowhere near where the stock 208/10 spline 205 shifter fit. :mad:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have no idea what you are talking about but the 10 spline 465 is way shorter than the 32 spline version. 32 spline version is the same length from bellhousing mating surface to the end of the output shaft as a 700R4(measured the two side by side) the 10 spline with a 205 is the shortest drivetrain combo in our rigs.

can't you just lengthen the shifter shaft?

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Another option, though probably not cost effective right now would be to find a short 32 spline input gear and run the figure 8 adapter. You would need about a 1" spacer between the adapter and tcase though, but your driveshafts could proably be used without modification as a minor plus.

Or you could just re-bend the shifter handle with a couple 45 degree bends to move it farther forward. You might have to lengthen the handle after that but it would be easier than modifying your floor pan.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

FWIW, I noticed the shifter for my crew cab is different than the shifter on my older stuff. I have used the same shifter on my 4spd/205 and 400/205 combos (both are figure "8" type) but I could not use it on my 91. While the early shifter is basically straight up & down the shifter on my 91 has a forward bend in it above the pivot bolt to make it line up in the hole.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I found the shifter that came with the '91 4L80E/205 combo, and it is definitely a redesign of the older one.

I'm not sure if it's got ENOUGH of a difference to make it fit, but I'm crossing my fingers!

Just going to have to bolt it up and see. Not sure why GM would have changed the shifter bolt hole location...I know the adapter is 3" longer on the 32 spline setup, but they could have cast the bolt hole in the same location. :confused: