Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shifter Removal?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5james, Apr 9, 2005.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I know it's dumb but I don't know how to get the shifter off of my Blazer. I removed everything up to the housing for the shifter. It's a TH350 if that helps. Help me. :whine:

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What part are you trying to remove?

The linkage from the tranny? The connection at the base of the steering column? The chrome handle on the column itself??

Most of those should be self-evident, the only one that's a little more bizarre is the chrome selector on the column.....there's a press pin that locks it in place....just put a small punch on the underside of that pin and gently tap with a hammer and the pin will lift right out.

After that, you can cut about 4" out of the selector and weld it back together.... I have no idea why Chevy made those things SO long in the first place. It makes it really hard to reach the other knobs on the right side of the dash. Ergonomics were apparently not important in the "good ol days"

:D

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

The chrome handle/lever is what I was trying to remove, thanks. The previous owner installed a crap shifter on the floor so the one on the column was useless. I took the steering wheel off to install my Grant quick release steering wheel and figured I might as well get rid of the column shifter while I'm at it.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Drive the roll pin out on the shifter where it starts into the column. Use a small punch and then maybe a pliers from the other side.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I didn't remember it as being a roll-pin (spring loaded, hollow centered)...mine looked like it had very small splines all around it to help keep it locked in place.

???

:dunno:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

drive it out, you dont need to get into column to simply remove shift handle

its real easy to remove..
    i would never touch/buy a trcuk that was converted to auto on the floor, i think its one of the worst things you can do to a truck

horrible

cutting hole in floor,., bad,,

same with three speed to floor from column

bad bad,,

good luck

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ok maybe roll pin was wrong term. Mine was simply a piece of shiny metal that was rolled into a cylinder and had a seam running down the side. Not solid so you could stick a screwdriver into in and spread it for a tighter fit. No splines on mine what so ever. But then my truck was pieced together before I got so it might have been jimmy rigged.

8. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you've seen my Blazer but there are holes all over it now from the suspension and cage, I wasn't too worried about that. I will, however, be replacing the shifter he put in there with a B&M Megashifter. I know it's not the best on the market but it's much better than the one that is in there.