Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shifting (700R4)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tybee, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Ok, I installed my 4 inch lift this past weekend after a painful install I took it on a test drive. It seems to shift different if I stomp on it, it takes longer to shift from 1st to 2nd and when it does it jerks something fierce. Could all the banging I did knock something out of wack? And also before and after the lift there is a sound coming from the rear end during acceleration, kinda like a duh duh duh duh clicking type of sound, could that be my little 10 bolt going out? Thanks in advance, Tybee

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is it a vibration? When I had the 21/2 inch lift done on Jimmy I got a vibration in second gear. It isn't that noticealbe but its there. With a 4 inch lift it might be causing more of a vibration.

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

No, I dont think its a vibration it does it when you accelerate from stopped, and it did it before the lift.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is it a thump against the floorboard between the rear seat and console? When I wrecked my Jimmy my rear T case mount broke, and under hard acceleration the t case would move and case a thumping sound.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

That could be it, but its not too loud. but thumping would describe it well.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Did you drop the tcase? Did you use blocks, springs, or flip in the rear? Any shims for driveshaft angle? I would make sure the tcase is dropped and that the angles are good first. Then take it from there and check out the rear. Did you do anything to the rear?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi

Tell you what I found while I was fixing my leaky T-case. The rod that goes foreward from the pass-side of the t-case and bolts to the engine block was broken off at the engine bolting point. Everytime the t-case moved the rod would vibrate and poke in the cavity that it was suposed to be bolted in. I welde it together and when I went to drive it again one sound was missing ![​IMG]It had been like this forever by the looks of the broken ends. Also I talked to a friend of mine today and said he had the exact same thing happen on his previous Blazer..

Hope it's not your 10 bolt. Take off the cover and change the gearoil in it. That will let you see the condition of the teeth and if maybe one is missing?

Also changing the U-joints could take some slop out of the drivetrain. The slop could cause the violent tugg you feel when the case is shifting too

Hope I helped some.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>