Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shifting a dirtbike without moving the left ankle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MXmastermike, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

I need to be able to do this. I used to ride a whole lot, last year, before my accident. After that my bike (89 kx125 i love it and refuse to sell it!) just sat in the shop gathering dust and spiderwebs. Well last week i got the bike out of the corner and welded some metal to my shifter so i could either pull up or push down to shift, kind of a two pronged fork that my foot sits inside of. but it didnt work real well. To ride a dirtbike well, you have to be able to shift from any position, and this setup wasnt allowing that.
    I'm looking for some ideas to let me to ride my bike like i used to.

2. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

I doubtthis would be as good but yu could attach a large lever up to around your handle bar lik a jockey shifter but bent 90degrees out and use your knee

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Rig up a hand (Suicide) shifter like on the old Harleys.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Or get an old Harley, all that stuff is on the other side. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Dennis Kirk sells a hand shifter for utility ATVs that attachs to your foot shifter. Might be able to make that work. I dont know how you would clutch and shift at the same time though

6. MXmastermike

does anyone know of any kind of push button shifter that i could mount to the handlebars so i wouldnt have to take my hand away from the throttle or the clutch?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Air shifters for your hot rod are RPM activated, so it's gotta be electrical. I would think you should be able to use a plunger type silanoid. The trick would be in mounting it. Put switch by the throttle.

8. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

They make air shifters that use CO2 cartridges. They only work one way, both electric and air. But to be honest, bing bing bikes are ill tempered and not very forgiving to be riding banged up. I just got fat and it alomost kills me to ride hard anymore. Alot more of me bouncing up and down, ground=good, air=bad. On the lighter side, I was playing around about a month ago, and this little punk I used to play with was wanting to ride with the old man, thought he could take me, so I decided to skin them back. Either I am getting old, or he was good, or maybe I just sucked to begin with. Regardless I had to stop and duck tape my "manly mid section", I did not have a belly strap that fit anymore. Without it was too painful, and I know that any dirt riders here that have put on pounds since the smaller days knows what I am talking about. I know what you are thinking too, I bet fat a$$ didn't think about taking the tape off. Oh yes I did I taped over my t-shirt. *LOL* If I can help let me know, be more than glad. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. MXmastermike

i am interested in the whole air shifter thing, but i dont know if the air pressure lasts long enough, and my bike doesnt have a battery so that might take some extra rigging. im afraid that it might be a whole lot easier to sell my bike and buy an enduro or something else with a battery already in it and find some way to use electicity to shift