Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shifting funny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fright89, Feb 25, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Got home from foxwoods last night and after pulling off the highway i noticed the truck was shifting late. Its an 89 with tbi and stock trany. I really had to get the rpms up to get it to shift. is there a vacume hose that may have come off ? I will look this afternoon. Any thaughts, THANKS

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your truck probably doesn't have a Vacume modulator. It has a TV cable. That's best described as a throttle possistion sensor for the tranny. Connects like a down shift cable. Unless you have been messing around at the throttle body recently it shouldn't have changed.
    Check the fluid level and check to see if it's burnt. 700's are hard on fluid and like to make heat. You MUST run a big cooler to get them to last a long time.
    Your truck is new enough that it should have some computer control that works in cunjuntion with the FI computer. Are you getting a check engine light? There are tranny codes that can trip a light or store codes. It is possible the a engine run problem also cause a shift problem on computer controled versions.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

I have not changed or added anything lately. the fluid was low so i added some. the truck does have a trany cooler, but it was there when i got the truck. seems ok. BTW it really slams when it does decide to shift. it may have gotten hot last night on the way home, it about a two hour ride and we came home around 4am so i was realy moving.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Ya keep an eye on the fluid...If it is burnt, flush it...is the cooler that is on there the stock cooler (read: the one that is integrated into the radiator) or is it an auxilary cooler...If it is a stock cooler, you might want to invest in an aux. cooler and daisy chain them....Good luck...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>