Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shifting Hard Into 2nd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffcc1, Nov 10, 2006.

1. buffcc1

buffcc1 Registered Member

I have a 700R4 and its shifting hard into 2nd gear any suggestions?

2. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

Mine was good for that, it took a few seconds to shift then slammed into gear.I'm not sure what the cause excatly is, but a towing shift kit from tci seemed to make mine just right. It doesn't shift hard like race kits due, but still shidts quick. I did a full rebuild cause i lost overdrive and third, but if yours isn't slipping then that shouldn't be needed.

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Is it hesitating to shift into OD as well? My throttle valve cable had slipped through the little adjuster on the side of the throttle body and it threw off the 2nd and OD shift points. Check the shop manual on adjusting.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I can make mine shift ****ing hard into second. If I am WOT then I backoff right before the shift it slams really hard. I am a believer that a hard shift is better than a lazy shift that lets the bands slip.

Ira

5. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

1. Fluid Level
    2. Modulator vacuum hose (look for vacuum leaks, cracks, etc
    3. Modulator

These are things that I have had problems with.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

wrong trans, 700's don't use vacuum:p:

either the cable has changed position, or get ready for this,,,,,the trans is on it's way out..

My first one started out this way, then eventually it wouldn't shift out of 2nd at all,,,now my second one is starting this same thing, gradually getting worse every day...

really sucks:(

7. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

when i first bought my jimmy, they told me it had a shift kit. Boy did it shift firmly into second. A month later it shifted into second for the last time.(luckily i bought the extended warranty) The dealer told me that it was totally thrashed with huge chunks of metal laying in the bottom, of the pan when they inspected it. Hope this isnt getting ready to happen to you too!:doah:

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine has ( knocks on wood ) shifted hard into second since I boight it almost 100,000 miles ago . Mine was rebuilt by the p/o . It has gotten better , but it was each change of gearing . The less I have to get into the motor , the less the cable is pulled , the easier the shift .