Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shifting NP203 with out shifter, please help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Oct 28, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have an NP203, to make a long story short, I am trying to [censored] it w/o the shifter. Just by moving the levers on the side of the case. Can anyone help me tell which levers I need to push where to get it into hi loc, lo loc and hi unloc. Thanks!

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The little shaft controls the front fork that shifts from low to high and also neutral.

The big one controls the rear fork via a link-rod that puts the thing into 4WD LOCK. It locks up the differential in so that the front and rear spin together.

You can do it with a crecsent wrench when the T-case is out of the truck, but I haven't tried it with it in the truck without the shifter.

You can disconnect the driveshafts to test what I'm saying. Rotate the little shifter shaft and you will find neutral where the front and the back spin freely. Then put it in gear and lock the larger shaft and they both will turn together.

The big shaft (closest to the case) only has two positions - Locked and Not-locked. The smaller shaft has three - Hi, Low and Neutral.

I hope this helps.

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

If you need a shifter, drop me an email, I have an extra one.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have that on my 203, I shift it by hand from under the truck, I don't have a bigger and smaller, but let's say the outer and inner.
    The inner one is the lock and it's not easy to engage it if you have the engine running, at least with me it wasn't.
    The outer one gives you from front to back:
    hi, neutral, low.
    It's always easier if you have the trans in neutral and the engine off, but most times neutral would be enough.