Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shifting problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, May 5, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

84 full size. Mechanical clutch. One year old clutch, PP and bearing.
    Start up in the AM, shifts fine. Stop and go traffic, come to a red light and shift into netural....
    light turns green and I have to "fight/use force to shift into gear." If I am driving along and want to down shift coming to a stop, shifts into gear with no problems.
    In the past 5 years, I have installed three clutches. Not many miles between changes.
    Still, what's causing the hard shifting? Also, when going down hill in first, just coasting down hill, first gear pops out. Cause?
    New linkage, new "Z" bar, bushings, pivot bar, clutch fork.
    I have a heavy duty spring attached to the clutch fork facing forward attached to the frame rail.
    Also...
    I have a chance to pick up an 85 K5 diesel with auto. I'm thinking about swapping the transmission I have for the auto. This 85 has been sitting for 13 years in the bone yard along with 50 other K5's here in Korea. A local bone yard buys the surplus vehicles from the military. Problem is, the locals won't but them from the bone yard so he is stuck with 50 K5's/M1009's.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Pull your shifter and check the play in the roll pins. Also, try changing your gear oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a bad transmission synchronizer or two. That is why it is popping out of gear, and being difficult to put in gear at a dead stop.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a bad transmission synchronizer or two. That is why it is popping out of gear, and being difficult to put in gear at a dead stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sounds like that could be the problem. I was just trying to provide a cheap preliminary fix before going to spend the big bucks on a rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif When he said it was popping out of first, I wonder if he means actual 2nd or granny. If it's granny then synchros are probably not the problem since 1st and reverse don't have any synchros so /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Yes, I should have said "popping out of granny gear," which it does. Someone wrote "Pull your shifter and check the play in the roll pins. Also, try changing your gear oil."
    What, pull it from inside the cab or R&R the tranny? What type of gear oil is recommended? Thanks all!

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that was me who said that. You can pull the shifter from inside the cab no problem (as long as the newer 465's are the same as the old ones), there is just a collar you can turn counter clockwise and pull the shifter off. As far as gear oil, any old gear oil from Auto Zone will do. Go higher weight for more protection, lower for smoother shifting. Pull the drain plug, let it all drain out, then put the drain plug back in and pull the fill plug underneath. Pour gear oil into the top of the tranny where you took the shifter out until it starts coming out of the fill plug. Make sure to not overfill it! Pour about a quart in there quickly, then slow down so you can stop pouring as soon as it starts coming out.