Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shifting Strange

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Aug 17, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

My truck is running great and I just had my tranny serviced. It shifts great, and with my new 3" exhaust I have lots of power. The problem is when I go up the Mt. Rose highway (which is really steep), my truck shifts funny and I can't seem to accelerate like I should. My temp also is a little high while this is going on.

Once I am up at the lake, my truck again runs great, plenty of power, smooth shifts. On the way down on another road (that requires a very steep climb over the mountains and then a nice, mellow glide down to the freeway), my truck shifts fine, stays cool, and accelerates fine. It is as if my truck just hates the Mt. Rose highway!

Anybody have any idea as to why this would be? I don't get it. My carb could probably use a rebuild here pretty quick, but I get pretty good mileage for such a big truck. I am at a loss.

[​IMG]

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If engine temp is climbing so is your trans temp. If you don't have an aux. cooler I would get one. Trans could be gettting too hot causing trans to slip a little.