Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shim/align help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, May 27, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hi guys...day one of the lift has gone good... a few hassles and a couple stuburn SOB's... but I need some help... I know when you put in wedge for the frt d-shaft angles that it affect alingnment and steering... so I've heard they put in shims that are wedged by the spindles. I found a couple on an old axle and want to use them. Anyone know how they go on> thin part towardfs... thick part towards? Will this correct the steering wandering stuff that people talk about or no? Thanks a million. \

oh yeah... I downloaded my pics and hop to have them up very soon... by mid-week.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those shims will only affect camber, what you're hoping to affect is your Caster angle. My front end has either 2 1/2 drgree shims or 4 degree, I can't remember which but it tracks very nicely down the road..

The shims for behind the spindle are for when your truck starts to look like a TTB Ford...[​IMG] and will have no effect on your Caster angle.

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

hey mikey!think of a caster on a shopping cart.basicly in real simple term(REAL simple)is how the caster in your front is.the way the shim is installed is thick to the front to pitch the pinion up,so what you want to do is put the xtra shim in the opposite direction to counteract it.thick to the rear.i personaly would remove it altogether,or put in xtended shackles,that too will point the pinion down and reverse the effect of the shim installed in the pack youve got.in all its not that bad of a wander,if you just leave it alone.im not a fan of the slide in shims,been there done that,shim cracked then broke then fell out!leavin the front axle loose![​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

4. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i just went from a 4-6in lift in front of mine, the 4in springs had no shims at all, also no wonder, the sixes have 4-5 degree shims and it wonders alot (to me) i think im just going to off the shims all to gather, or, since those shims are part of the pack, i might just reverse shim it 3or 4 degrees.

5. CaptCrunch

I was kinda like WTF when I was hearing this too... I knew I have heard of ball joints to correct it... but shims? Well these shims were on my D44 before I ripped it apart... I wish I kept track of which way they went... wonder why they were in there... I dunno... I hate alignments and rarely do them.

-Mikey

6. CaptCrunch

well to give more info... I think Glen from BDS said it was a 4 degree shim. I guess I was thinking of going no t-case drop, no shim, and a CV in the rear... otherwise maybe try the t-case drop...but seems that then I would need the shim forsure. Of yeah... anyone ever run the stock rear d-shaft after a 6" lift? I thought I heard somone say it was ok on the street but flex at all and it's gone... just was gonna see if I would be able to drive it to work and back till I get the CV shaft out to me..

-Mikey