Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shim Degree for front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, Oct 7, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

In a few days I will be ready to put the front axle in my truck. I am going to need to shim the front leaf springs to lessen the pinion angle. I am not sure how much lift I will have when I'm done I have 10 inch springs and am using ORDs extended shackles so it should be around 11 inches or so when its all done. Any way how big of a shim can I use on the front axle before it messes with the steering? Any info will be appreciated Thanks John

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well, the first question is how much of a degree change will the springs give? Then you have to ask what constitutes "messing with the steering". Adding those shackles is going to give you a couple of degrees in the wrong direction. 10" springs are so high that you may be forced to rotate the knuckles to have both proper pinion angle and proper caster. If you don't want to do that, you'll have to figure out what compromise between the two you like the best.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have 8" springs and have 5degree shims on and it works out fine. not sure how 10" spring are gonna be. it would help alot if u got zero-rates to move the axle forward 1-1.5".

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Is this going to be driven daily or what? You going to loose all your caster. The proper thing to do with that much lift would be to have the knuckles cut and turned.