Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shim degree question for 6" front springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by berg76, Feb 3, 2004.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Shim degree question for 6\" front springs

I have installed 6" TCI front springs and was wondering what degree shim I might need? I have not measured the caster yet. Also my draglink isnt level anymore. Will the skyjacker drop pitman arm work on the 4wd steering box like the 2wd version? And does anyone know the model number of that drop pitman?

Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Shim degree question for 6\" front springs

The springs them selves should have a shim on the bottom of them to fix you pinion angle. I have a 6" kit with a 4" steering arm and my drag link isn't level. I have good steering and have never ran into any lift associated steering problems. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

My new springs didnt have a shim with them. Maybe its not needed?? What is the correct caster angle? My old 4" ranchos had them but they fell apart when I removed them.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The bottom leaf on the springs should be shimmed a little already, the spring itself.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I actually removed the shims from my 6" springs, with a CV you need to do some grinding so it clears, but on a non-CV shaft you'll probably be fine.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you have a flat surface on the top of your steering knuckles, just lay an anfgle finder on it with the tires pointed straight ahead.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I forget what the exact caster spec is (and it might be different between the D44s and D60s) but I recall something like 4 to 6 degrees was right for a D60.

Take a "real life" measurement, then shim accordingly. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. I'll throw an eyeball on it tomorrow night. Steers decent but the bumpsteer sucks arsh and I dont have any front shocks yet /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

~Jason