Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shiming stuff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Jul 13, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So I got my new springs in. My output of the t-case is at 9* and my axle is about 4.5* So that means that I need about a 3.5* shim in my axle, right? My crossmember already has the lowering spacers on it. I did the math though, and I figured that if the spacers were another 1/8" longer I could have perfect angles. Or should I just shim my axle?

I have machine shop access so making the spacers real nice shouldn't be a problem.

What do you guys think?

-Chris

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

1/8" isn't very much. Actually, it'a a washer. Why not drop the T-case and find the true angles. Drive it, too and see how it does. Sometimes getting the right angle is as much trial and error as it is math. Exactly the same angle is not always ideal anyway. To account for axlewrap, some people set the pinion slightly lower than the T-case (up to 1 degree lower).

I do applaud you for being on the right path and doing the math, though, since that's the place to start. I'm constantly amazed at how people avoid math like the plauge, even 9th grade geometry.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Maybe I don't understand, but wouldn't lowering the t-case increase the 9*?

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I suspect he is measuring the angles in the U-joints.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Oh, ok. I thought maybe he was using an angle finder like this one , measuring off of the yokes.

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Nope, I'm measuring with a magnetic angle finder off of the actual transfer case and the rearend. Not the u-joint angles. My math was wrong anyways, just calculated it again. I need to lower the t-case another inch to accomplish this. It already has the one inch spacers on top of the crossmember so I guess shims it is. Already ordered them from ORD.

Steve at ORD has never failed to answer a question for me.

Also, you are right I had the angles backwards in my original post. 5* at the t-case and 9* at the axle.

-Chris