Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shimming front axle after ORD shackles installed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Anybody shim there front axle up using 2-4 degrees shims after installing ORD's heavy duty front shackles to correct there pinion angle? Is there any problems with caster or other issues when doing this? Since I installed these shackles and put in 1" spacers on my 208 transfer case to bring my rear pionion within 5 degress of each other I cant install my front factory driveshaft and I thought this might help.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i use to run the ord shackles i didn't need shims & it drove fine, by dropping your t-case 1" in the rear u cause the frt output to point upwards. i would say that + the shackles is what is causeing your d-shaft problem. shiming the frt axle pinion upward might help but all u are doing is putting a bandaid on it.

raising the tcase back up & buying new d-shafts w/ better operating angles would be best. but it is pricey

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah that what i figured. Atleast I can run I driveshaft now though in the rear. I lowered the TCase and it now sits at 5 degrees on the yoke. I removed my overload and added ORD zero rate 1.5" back at it brought the 14 bolt pionion yoke to 10 degree so now Im only at a 5 degrees diff and my conventional 2 joint driveshaft is at 20 degrees. It not good but its alot better then before. It does bind however at full drop. I plan on getting new shafts but not untull I upgrade my Transfer case so this will only be temporary.