Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shimming new vinyl windows into rough frame openings?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R77K10, May 5, 2006.

1. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

are you supposed to shim vinyl window units that have the nailing flanges ? (new construction ones)

if so then where do you shim them at- and how do you keep the shims in place ?

or do you just set the units on the bottom of the rough frame opening and make them level there and then nail the flanges to the exterior and call it good ?

they are pella units, double hung, full vinyl, 32x54"

im working on resizing the rough opening in the wall right now, almost done with one- other than figuring out how in the heck to header them

also how do you seal across these units across the tops to keep out water ?
    with flashing metal ?
    how ?
    just nail the flashing over the window nailing flanges, or ?

should i do the sides too ?

thanks

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

JUst have someone help you from the inside and center them in the hole and when you nail them dont sink the nails just snug em so they can expand and contract, thats why the nail holes are oblong, but dont ask me I havent framed in 15 years...:doah: :D

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Have someone help you hold the window in place. Draw around the flange on the outside wall. Take the window back out of the opening. Now lay a big fat bead of silicone inside the flange lines. Set the window back up on the lines and staret nailing or screwing.
    If the new window does not rest on the framing, I would definately shim under the bottom of the sill. Even the good vinyl windows will give a little if you lean down on them. Use regular shims, turned sideways, under the center of the window. Use a little silicone to hold them in place.

4. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

Don't use nails, put your screws right through the shims where possible, and for god sakes- don't over tighten! You'll farg up the window frame and have all kinds of issues.

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

ok thanks guys, just sound slike i need to shim under the sills then