Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shimming rear penion after shackel flip...???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Jul 1, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I have removed my blocks and added a shackel flip. Now my 14 bolt is straight inline with the driveline. I drove it back to my shop and got a bit of vibe from the rear now at about 35 and it was getting worse with speed. I dropped the case 1" with the factory spacers and haven't had time to drive it yet. But my question is what is the optimum angle for the rear pinion. I thing it should be parralel with the trans output but not sure. What is the best way to figure the degree shim needed? I know it is trial and error, but I would like to get close on the first try ;-) Thanks guys.

P.S. Got new pics up on the webshot page that show the shackel flip install and the new driveline angle in reference to the shaft and pinion.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i always seem to here "4 deg." with a 4" lift IMLAO /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've found that about 2 degrees below parallel with the t-case gets rid of the vibe, which is about where your driveline was before the flip. You should need no more than a 6 degree shim to correct it, 4 degrees might be the ticket but might not get the pinion that extra 2 degrees down to compensate for spring wrap. Where you running tapered blocks before the flip or square blocks? Looks good!.

Beater74, you sig is killing me!

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Square with the factory springs and 12 bolt... same when I swapped out the 12 for a 14. No vibe with either setup.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'd say your definately between a 4 and 6 degree shim. I purchased a set recently for 11 bucks, so they are not too expensive.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm taking votes now from everyone....

4 0r 6 degree ;-) dumm dumm dummm what is it going to be

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Who carries the shims?

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

BW if the pinion is pointing at the TC then that's what you want if running a CV joint at the TC end. So it's trying to tell you to get a 1350 CV driveshaft. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I know you can get them from ORD...

My pinion looks like its pointing pretty high too... even with the 1.5" offset Zero Rates. Hope the vibes aren't too bad! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Dan

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

mt driveline on my 14ff is pointing right at the xfer case.. i get no vibes...

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I sure wish I had the money for CV shaft, but not at the moment.