Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shimming the transfer case??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by justhorsinaround, Sep 23, 2003.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I guess I am still relatively new and have am confused about shimmin the t-case. If I do this to correct my rear drive line angle, won't this mess up the front one?? I'm sure this question has been covered but I couldn't find anythin in a search. I could just be an idiot though. Yea that's prolly it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks in advance for any help.

Allan

2. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

it's not really shimming but have you already tried lowering it by swapping the stock 1" spacers to above the crossmember between the frame vs. below the crossmember? it's not much but it got rid of my vibrations... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

oh and welcome to the site!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It was pretty much dark when I got your post but I went out and looked and here is what I saw. The crossmember is bolted directly to the frame and all I saw was what I'm guessin was a rubber tranny/t-case mount to the crossmember. Maybe I'm just assumin,but that's what I could see in the near dark. Hope this might could help in helpin me. Again, thanks in advance.

Allan

4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Where the crossmember bolts up to the frame, check to see if there are spacers above the frame on the bolts, if there are just lossen the crossmember and stick those spacers between the frame and Xmember. You might need a floor jack to support the tranny/case fromm falling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    it's not really shimming but have you already tried lowering it by swapping the stock 1" spacers to above the crossmember between the frame vs. below the crossmember? it's not much but it got rid of my vibrations... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

oh and welcome to the site!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Yes, lowering the rear of the case makes the angles at the front worse. It also removes some of the lift you paid to install. Doesn't seem like such a great soultion, does it? Don't do it unless you have vibes. If you do drop the crossmmber don't use those tiny spacers on the top of the frame rail, buy or make some w/ a larger dia. Better yet, use a piece of bar stock or heavy wall tube w/ capped ends and sleeved bolt holes (a good place to use those orgianal spacers) that runs the length of the crossmember. Don't drop it more than an inch. A better, but more expensive, option would be to use a fixed yoke case. That will most likely fix the prob, if not add a CV to the rear shaft.