Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shimming with hill shackles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Sep 10, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a 4" on my suburban and i just put on a set of hill shackles. will i have any bad vibes or need to shim?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I personally don't have any vibes, but my front is at a bad, but not so bad, angle---i guess it just depends on the truck

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The front driveshaft doesn't have much rotational mass and with the CV joint, a slight angle in the U-joint probably won't cause a noticeable vibration. Plus, that's only going to happen if you are in 4WD on the road. A bigger concern may be caster angle. These trucks have a lot of caster built in and you will be removing some, so it might not be too bad. I would just drive it and see how it responds.

I made my own "adjustable" front shackles (more than one hole for the top bolt) and am using them for about 3/4" of lift right now. There is no vibration from it and the caster change is just enough to be noticeable, but it drives fine. My wife has no problem with it and she doesn't like to drive trucks.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Actually you are adding more caster instead of taking it away. It will actually make it run straighter on the road, but it will be harder to turn the wheels and your front end will lift and lower as you turn as well. You may have to put a 2-3 degree shim in opposite of normal to compensate.

5. muddysub

"opposite of normal" being with the thick end at the back?

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you are using the shackles on the front of your truck the fat end will go on the front side closest to the radiator.

7. muddysub

but that will point the pinion down. and that's what the hill extended shackles do.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

no, that will bring it up. imagine your spring is not moving(cus it isnt) and your axle is rotating a bit. now, rotate your axle to fit the shim in big end FWD. not imagine the same only big end backward. (do all this imagin' from a side view) it will point the pinion up if you put the big end FWD.
    grant

9. muddysub

yeah, you're right, thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif