Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shimmy and Shakin'

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkyScraper, Jul 10, 2003.

1. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

Shimmy and Shakin\'

Maybe someone out here has ran across this problem.

What I have is a 79 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with a 350 and NP203 case. I just spent $1800 on some recent problems but unfornately that seem to fix my problem.

I had the Ball joints replaced because the front end shimmed <font color="red">REAL BAD</font> at around 35-55 mph. They did a steering alignment, rotated the tires and balanced them. Once I got it back it still pulled to the right a bit and still seemed to shimmy at higher speeds. Well there was a Pinion seal leak that they couldn't fix, so I took it to my other machanic. He has done a lot of work for me before so I feel that I can trust him. Anyhow, He agreed there was a pinion seal leak but also noted to me that the Passenger wheel seal was leaking too. I agreeded because there was puddle on the ground at home. That means the entire rearend comes apart to replace those. While it was apart, he found that the inner axle on the passenger side was bad. He said the the splines were at a point instead of square /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I had him replace that too. Then they found that the passenger side wheel hub was bad. He said the clearance for the wheel bearing race was not a press fit, but rather there was a 1/16" to 1/8" gap and the race was sliding inside the hub. So he replaced th hub too. Now after having it back for about 1 week to 2. It still shimmy and shakin when I drive it. In fact it feel worse than before!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I took it back to the first shop the other day and got it back tonight. They said they can't figure out why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and the steering alignment is as good as it will get. They have re balanced the tires 3 times plus rotated them to there best possible position and still it shakes when i drive it. So I sit here tonight typing this out to all of you hoping this will jog someones mind and say "Oh yes I have had this problem you need to..." /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

One thing I have checked already are the drive shafts and they seem fine.

Any help is <font color="blue">GREATLY</font> appreciated!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry for being so long!

Best Regards,
    Scott
    Any other suggestions?

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Re: Shimmy and Shakin\'

You mention that he replaced the hub. Was the rotor included with that? Did you have the rotors turned to make sure they're not warped? If you've got a warped rotor and a caliper that doesn't slide like it's suppose to you'll get a nice vib.
    Do you have mud tires?

3. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

I second rampage. I replaced the the rotors on our 94 Sub and no more shakin. Good luck.

Allan

4. SkyScraper

I should have said "Rotor hubs" and not just "hubs", because I'm sure the rotors for the front are one piece.

But only one was replaced and if one was replaced it should be better instead of worse.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Scott

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The rotor and hub are actually two pieces, so the hub can be replaced without replaceing the rotor. Replacing one side will not make it better, you need to do both sides.

6. SkyScraper

Cool I'll check that out then. That's probably the problem because I thought they were all one piece /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. If this doesn't fix the problem I don't know what will.

Thanks for all your help!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Scott