Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shin Splints and the pain that they provide.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Waxer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I am joining the US Army and have been working out since Sept 14th in preparation for Basic Training. When I first started working out in September, I experienced a lot of pain in my knee's and ankles, as well as a case of shin splints on my left leg.

A few people here gave me some tips on how to cope with them. Thanks SF87k5 (Danny) and Rugger. I can take some ibuprofen after a hard workout if my shin bothers me, but I'd rather look to a solution to the problem itself instead of just bandaiding it.

My ankles and knee's haven't bothered me since October (my guess is they were just crying that they were out of shape), but the shin splints came back after a good 2 mile run on Sunday.

It's not enough pain to make me stop running, but I definitely know its there.

Does anyone have any tips or home remedies on how to get rid of them things? I know rest is essential, but is there something else I could be doing in addition to rest?

Thanks for any replies and/or information on the subject.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ice and stretching helps tremendously. Sit in a chair, or in bed, and rotate your angles full up and full down until it burns. This will help you stretch that area out and kill most if not all of the pain.

I had shin splints so bad in training that I could hardly walk at times. I dunno what it is about my legs...God gave me a really weak set. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The excercises and ice really helps, be persistant about it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just don't expect it go to away completely.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Not the cheapest solution, but orthotics designed by a podiatrist that knows what he's doing should handle all those problems, along with the exercises already mentioned. Exercise alone will not fix it if the problem is biomechanical, and the set of symptoms you describe sounds typical.

There's a hotshot doc in San Bernardino that knows exactly what he's doing in that area. If you want to contact him, let me know.

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes would be my first guess. Have you been doing any reverse calf raises? It's where your heels are on the agde of a step and you raise and lower your toes. That will work the muscles around your shins and will help to decrease shin splints

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

As a runner, I've been there, done that.........go to a running specialty store and ask them to fit you to the correct pair of shoes for YOUR foot/stride/pronation/overpronation, etc. I had plantar fasciitis (foot problem) for two years before I got this advice and it solved the root cause.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Shoes and running technique..............

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

when i was in infantry school (usmc) i got really bad shin splints from those classic speed-humps out to ranges etc in camp pendleton. never did get any special shoes or anything... just kinda gritted my teeth and sucked it up. Eventually (think months) i didnt get them anymore when humpin'... and all was good. IMO, if ur goin army, you may want to condition yourself to doing that kind of speed humping so that in the long term it wont be a problem. Not like they are going to let you use some $pendy orthipedic shoes in combat zones or anything, ur gonna have mil spec issued boots and thats about it. better to get used to it sooner rather than later.

j

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I think a lot of it was technique, I very rarely got shin splints when I was in; but also I always used aftermarket insoles in my boots and it only bit me in the a** only once.................Swamps, jungle boots and aftermarket insoles don't mix /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Vicodin, 500mg /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm not sure what I'd rather have, Shin splints or the fact that both of my sholder are shot to the point that I can sit here; scratch my left sholder with my right arm and wrap and pop the tendon around my joint. The same goes for my left sholder and sholder blade, except it crunches more than it cracks.

I guess thats what I get for swimming in highschool and college, averaging 2-6miles a day for 6.5 years now /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif