Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shingles vs. Metal????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by baldamish, Jun 29, 2006.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used metal roof on their house or evenon the garage? What is the cost difference? Other than lasting damned near forever, how does it look?? Anyone?????

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

My uncle co-owns a metal roofing business here in town, and they serve most of western Washington. I'm biased, but I say go with the extra cost of the metal, but make sure there is a guarantee/warranty on the surfacing. A lot of people sell metal that will flake, lose color, or rust (poor galvanizing). Plus, you can get just aboot any color you want. The only thing I don't like, is I've heard they don't insulate quite as well as conventional, but it's not a huge difference.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

No doubt about it, tin is more expensive than conventional shingles. HOWEVER, if you plan on staying in your present house for a long time, you can easily justify the extra cost, as a good quality(see TSGB's post above) product will last you a lifetime.

4. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

My dad's house has a metal roof, and I'm not a huge fan, but it should be there forever. I just don't think it looks as nice a shingles would ***on his house***. There are houses that I think would look better with metal, just not his. I will say this also, cell phone reception SUCKS in his house. Works fine on the porch and it seems like it was much better back before the metal roof. Could just be a coincidence I guess.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What about the insulation? We have mostly heat down here, no cold. Is the tin any better/worse?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

AFAIC, the material you choose for you roof shouldn't affect the temperature inside your home, as long as you've got the proper insulation. We have friends here with both tin and shingle roofs, and I can't say that I've ever noticed one house being hotter than the other.

Maybe a construction guy could chime in and clear this up for us.....

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have tin on my shop and hate it... it leaks every time it rains!

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

How old is it? Did it rust through? Was it galvanized, colored, or plain? Was it professionally installed? Is there flashing around all the edges? :confused:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's fairly old, maybe about 30 years or more? I've never thought about it until now, but 30 years is probably longer than any shingle roof would have lasted. And the tin itself is still in excellent condition.

There is no rust. It has been painted only once, and that's just because it was starting to get some rust around the edges. The leaking problem I have is that all the nails have worked loose through the years... I guess it's time to replace them with screws.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

righto PAUL. insulate the floor of you attic and proper ventilation and it does not matter what kind of roof you have or color.but don't have gable vents( the ones on the side of the attic space) and ridge vents( at the very top of the roof) at the same time. it works like a vacum, and pulls snow or rain in from the top.metal roofs installed right should out last organic materials.but some(organic) come with a 30,40,50,life time warrenty.so it depends what you want to spend and will you like the color that long?:D

11. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My Grandaddy had an aluminum roof put on. Kinda sorta after a fashion but not really in the end looks like a shake roof. I'm thinking something along the lines of 20 some odd years ago and I'm guessing it's still good as new. Doesn't leak and still looks the same from the ground so.......

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

someone just did it a few weeks ago up the street. i can get some pics if you want. pm me if needed.

13. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

I have a metal roof and my only complaint is that when it snows it all slides off the roof so I end up with a 3 foot berm in front of the garage doors.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

metal + ice = smash!

My sisters house had a leaky roof in the winter..it had been replaced not long before,and the contractor said an "ice dam" built up in the gutters was responsible for the leakage--so he installed a roll of that roofing that has the self-sticking adhesive (Weather-Gaurd ?) on the eaves,and then proceeded to install a sheet of metal roofing on the last 6 feet near the eave and gutter,so the ice wouldn't freeze there and sit for weeks and melt..

It works great,no more "ice dams"!--instead,the ice and snow slide right off-- RIGHT onto her car,and it busted the windsheild!...:doah: --dented the roof pretty good too!..she cant park in the driveway in the winter now...:rolleyes:

I like metal roofs,they can look good,an are very durable with the new aluminized steel ..not many houses have them here,but many shops and garages and barns do..my quonset garage has "Galvalume" arch panels,they still look like new after 14 years of harsh New England weather exposure..--now,if only my TRUCK had galvalume body panels..:crazy:

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

they make little L shaped peices of metal or plastic that you put over doorways and such just for this problem.it still drips a little but no avalanch.they get stagered up and down and work well,we even have them at work.