Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shiping large items

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Registered Member

How do you guys go about shipping large or heavy items? I have to ship 4 wheels w/tires from Wisconsin to California, and I'd like to get them there damage free. Each weighs about 75 lbs. I was thinking along the lines of a wooden crate, for sturdiness.

Any help is appreciated!

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5 87 K-5, 84 K-15, 96 9c1 - Please don't slow down in front of me!

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Maybe wrap them with bubble wrap. I would think wooden crates would add too much more weight. I guess it depends how much you want too spend and how you are shipping them.

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Where you from in Wisconsin Dave ? I'd check with your local Pack n Mail store, they'll help you totally.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>When the UPS guy brought my swampers last week, they were wrapped in plastic, nothing else</font color=blue>

5. Dave

Dave Registered Member

I'm from Grafton. North of Milwaukee about 20 minutes. Where are you located up here, Riz? I checked with the local shipping store and they don't think a cardboard box (4 individuals) will hold up to the abuse. They recommended a crate. If they were regular rims, I'd use boxes, but they're rims for an Impala SS (Sorry, not K-5 related.....though I have seen a set on a 2wd mid-80's Suburban), and I'd like to see them arrive damage free.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5 87 K-5, 84 K-15, 96 9c1 - Please don't slow down in front of me!

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

at 75lbs each, they are ups-able. They would have to be send individualy. bringing the cost up. I have shipped tire/rim combo by cutting cardboard circles out and using fiberglass reinforced packing tape to hold it on. protecting the face of the rim. shipping labels must be taped to the tire. you can go to the ups website and get a shipping cost by filling out the form. fairly close to actual cost. there is an additional charge that doesn't get listed. 1.75% fuel surcharge. I think ups would be much easier than trying to use truck freight. They can get complicated trying to make pickups and dropoffs to non business addresses.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

call up 800-pick-ups and ask the rep about hundred weight shipping, i'm not sure if you have to setup an account or not for this but as long as you have at least 250lbs going to the same location and thier individual weight and diminsions fit with in their regulations they cut the price down alot. in one of the stores i worked at the cost was about 48 cents a pound. but like i said i'm not sure if you have to have an account or not, but i don't think it is that much trouble. but shrink wrap with a label inside and outside on the tire is just fine.
    good luck
    chris

Doin' it all on a college budget