Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shipping heavy items... where and how to? Price effective - free gift!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 22, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Need to get a 14bolt from Indianapolis (actually Frankfort), Indiana to Huntsville, Alabama....

Guessing the 14bolt weighs in at 475# plus 25-30# for a skid of some sort, what places can I check for shipping?

I know maybe yellow truck, they have a dock in Indianapolis that can drop stuff off at. Anyplace that does residential pickups? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    If not I need a shipper thats within an hour of 46041 and an hour from 35808 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If anyone can find or points me toward a place to do pickup and drop off door to door for under $125 I'll buy and send you a CK5 sticker of choice! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

(disclaimer... sticker value up to $10 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I don't think you'll find someone to do a residential pick up and delivery for under $125. I would check with Forward Air. You will have to drop if off at the Forward Air terminal in Indy (at the airport), and it will need to be picked up at their terminal (whatever is closest to Huntsville), but I think they have about the best rates for shipping large heavy items.

3. jjlaughner

any suggestions about how this thing should be strapped down?

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Pallet, or crate. Bend some steel around the tube into a U, and bolt tight to the pallet, crate, maybe one around each tube and another around the pinion? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Just a couple ideas.

5. jjlaughner

still looks like $248 thru forward air does that sound right? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure, just when I called around for shipping some of the bigger items I had, they were the cheapest. Did you call them to get the quote?

I didn't save any of the info, but that seems high, I know I checked on shipping a 14 bolt to Alabama a while back and I don't remember it being that much, but like I said, I don't have any info on it.

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Okay, I checked some old pm's. I checked on the price to ship a complete 454 to Massachusetts, I estimated the weight to be 800 pounds, they quoted me $202., so it sounds like something is screwy with the price you got. I would try calling in to them and tell them the dimensions of the item including pallet/crate, and estimated weight. Unless prices have gone up a lot in six months or so, the price you got seems awful high.

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

How about Kennys favorite- Yesterdays Tractor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seems like you could catch a ride for it. Might take some time, though.

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Call Kendra at Quality Drive Away (574-642-4150 x-135). They are the people who ship the camper trailers that are built in northern Indiana all over the US. They will often have extra space on a trailer, or an empty trailer on a return trip, and they will move stuff for pretty cheap in comparison to normal shipping companies.