Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shipping large items...who to use?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jberg62, May 29, 2002.

1. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone,
    I've got a bunch of stuff for sale in the parts for sale forum.
    Most of the stuff can be shipped or mailed conventionaly with either UPS or the USPS without a problem.
    What I'm curious about and never really had to deal with as yet is shipping larger items; such as tires which would probably end up being wrapped up on a pallette or something.
    I mean How do I find out how much the stuff weighs in order to give people who are interested in buying them some sort of an idea as to the shipping cost?
    Truck freight is usually COD right?
    Anyhow, any help you guys and gals could give me would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If they have a hub to pick them at whoever is the buyer and you have one there... try http://www.forwardair.com..... they have good rates and are good to deal with....

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

try fed ex ground. i've had good luck shipping tires, just tape a label on em and ship em out no pallets. as far a truck freight shipments go, almost all of mine have been freight prepaid.

craig

4. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

Try Greyhound.

5. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

Thanks folks!
    The only forward air place is about an hours drive away /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    It's doable, just a PITA
    I like the label slapping idea better /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'll cross that bridge when it pulls up in front of me.
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    Jim

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A little late, but I'd say Fedex too. I just shipped a pair of nerf bars for $20 5-day ground, and the guy got them in about 4 days. Large heavy package, super easy shipping. The only problem was getting to the friggin office in time...

If you use frieght DON'T use American Frieghtways. They "delivered" a $3000 printer to one of my offices, and got a signature from someone that doesn't even work in the building. Of course, because they had a sig (even though it was made-up), it wasn't thier responsibility, according to thier claims office....

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

mudnutt shipped a 6.5 turbo diesel from upstate New York to Denver, Colorado for 267 bucks through forward air. That is not bad.

John