Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shipping parts....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heavy4x4, Apr 7, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Those of you who ship truck parts and stuff, how do you do it?
    Really, I'm pretty clueless...I admit it...when it comes to this since I've never done it.
    But, now I'm thinking about selling some stuff on Ebay and need to know how to ship things.
    I don't have a UPS store (if that's what you call it) near me, but I do have a Post Office nearby. Do I just take whatever part I need shipped to them and say, put it in a box, send it to this address, and then have them tell me how much it will cost, or do I have to come up with boxes on my own?
    And, you ebayers and people that ship stuff on this board, how do you work your shipping price quotes? I know Ebay now has a thing where the buyer can type in their zip code and it gives them a UPS price quote, but like I said, there's not a UPS store near me. Or, does UPS pick up stuff from my house if I call them?
    And, do you do anything differently for shipping when shipping a set of wheels?

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

it depends on what your selling. if your selling something that isnt heavy enough to break a box just put it in a box and take it to the post office. If your selling simething heavy like a transfer case youll need to take it to a freight company and put it on a pallet. Fedex just started doing freight so you might be able to ship through them.

Nick

3. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Post office is GREAT for smaller stuff. Priority Mail includes the price of the box to ship in (they'll give em to ya). Can't ship tires, axles, etc. that way though. Try USPS website....should give you some max's on size/weight.

4. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

a bit of advice....when you ship, ask for delivery confirmation. It's proof that you shipped & item was delivered to buyer. That saves you hassles of someone trying to say they didn't get their stuff. I've had a couple try & pull that with me....till I emailed them their confirmation ticket. Never heard from them again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I ship all sorts of stuff. I like to use a small shipping company that is local to me that sells boxes, gives me packing peanuts for free and can ship either UPS or USPS and only charges a $1.75 handling fee for UPS (rather than a 20-30% like some other shipping places).

Did you go to the UPS website and see if you can find a local shipper?
    UPS

You can also get shipping quotes on their website.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I like FedEx's prices on medium sized stuff. I shipped a 5lb. box measuring about 18x12x6 to Illinois and it was only $5, arrived the next day too. UPS wanted somewhere along the lines of $15. The only time I did shipping on a large item (465/205 combo), I was the recipient, so I didn't have to handle shipping it out. I did have to arrange the shipping though. I went to http://www.freightcenter.com and got an excellent quote. They work with frieght shippers all over the country, so I got it sent to a terminal no more than 15 miles from my house for $150 for a 400+lb. item. Not bad if you ask me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif