Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shipping Tailgate Glass, need how to info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Feb 9, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm figuring FedEx Ground will be the cheapest.... anyone ever box up a tailgate glass for shipping? How did you do it and did it get there in one piece? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The hardest part is finding a decent box to Pack it in. I usually go to a body shop a rummage their box selection. A good stiff box. Then i use cardboard to make edges for the glass to cover the edges and sides. Fold the cardboard over the edges, sort of making a u channel around glass. Bubble wrap works the best, If you have any, and completly wrap glass. A small roll will cost you 10.00. It is time consuming to wrap it. The few time's I have sold/shipped glass it has made it. I will usually add 15-20 dollors to price to cover materials and time. Mark it fragile and pray!!

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

oh, And when your done, measure the box size. by the time you finish packing it up, The box might be oversized and extra charges will apply. I know it will be with UPS, but don't know what fed ex oversize is. I know fed ex is usually cheaper, but UPS is alot easier for me to get to.

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Find a local glass shop and ask them if you can have some of their old packaging. Flat auto glass like the tailgate is usually delivered in a thin box. Just make sure to wrap the edges i cardboard like bablazer73 said. Its a lot easier to break tempered safety glass if you hit it on the edge.