Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock boots: Yea or Ghey

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyjeff, Jul 21, 2004.

1. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

cant figure out if I should put these 80's looking colored shock boots on my shocks and steering stabilizers. Do they really serve any purpose other than the looks.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, they trap water, sand, dirt, etc so that it can ruin your shocks. So I would say ditch them, I did.

Harley

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

theyre all show, they dont really serve a purpose. if anything they're bad for the shocks because the mud and water that does get in through those breather holes, stays in and sits right on the seals and wears away at them.

4. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif they are destined to be a new dog toy or beer holder.

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I disagree....you NEED shock boots if yer mall crawling!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Not to argue, just asking - will they help prevent damage to the shaft and seal from rocks and road debris at highway speeds?

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to argue, just asking - will they help prevent damage to the shaft and seal from rocks and road debris at highway speeds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt think they would. They are just a thin piece of rubber or plastic. A rock would just tear through it.

Nick

8. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya, they trap water, sand, dirt, etc so that it can ruin your shocks. So I would say ditch them, I did.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have stone chips in the shaft and it rusts. It has also been doing a good job of ruining the seals. I'd say the way to go is to find shocks that have the metal cover that doesn't seal. It doesn't hold mud or water but you also don't have the chrome getting chipped.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i put mine on when i first bought new shocks. then i want to do some suspension work and had to remove one, it was holding quite a bit of muddy water in it. my truck hadnt seen water for at least two months so i was pretty pissed. they came right off after that.

[ QUOTE ]
    cool they are destined to be a new dog toy or beer holder.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you said that causs my dog found one in the scrap pile, its now her favorite chew toy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really really doubt it... shaft = hardened steel... boot = cheapo rubber. Anything hard enough, moving fast enough, to actually damage the shaft on a shock would slice right through a rubber boot like it wasnt even there.

j

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I dont think he means bent the shaft, i think he means more chip the chrome, it dont take much to scratch chrome. A little pebble at 55 will knock out a chunk of chrome, but it will harmlessly bounce off a piece of rubber. I run my boots on all 8 of my shocks and after mud/water, simply pull em up let em drain, hose em out let em drip dry, pull em back down and go back at it. Takes an hr when i am cleanin the truck up again anyway.

13. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I had the boots on my last 4x4, and didn't have any water/mud problems...but I never went muddin' (so cal doesn't offer much mud!) if your concerned with water, drill some small holes in the lowest points...bingo, drain. On that note, they do have some hideous colors so i opted for some grey boots looked nice and clean. I think if ya generally are a road king (mines a daily driver + the fun stuff) then i like the *thought of tryin to keep the crap off my shock shaft. my $0.02

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont think he means bent the shaft, i think he means more chip the chrome, it dont take much to scratch chrome. A little pebble at 55 will knock out a chunk of chrome, but it will harmlessly bounce off a piece of rubber. I run my boots on all 8 of my shocks and after mud/water, simply pull em up let em drain, hose em out let em drip dry, pull em back down and go back at it. Takes an hr when i am cleanin the truck up again anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more what I mean, kinda' like a "sand blaster" effect while driving 55+ mph