Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Effectivness?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, May 19, 2004.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I ask this because I'm thinking about mounting my rear shocks to the spring plates and run ford shock towers directly above the axle on the outside of the frame. I know that I will have to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif the floor for the towers and I know that the suspension cycles foward when flexed so I'm probaly going to have to find the shock towers that are on the newer f250's that have a stud setup that will allow the shock to swing foward as the suspension cycles. I'm just not sure if the shocks will be very effective mounted vertically. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is the shocks most affective position. They loose their ability to dampen spring forces as you lay them down from vertical.
    This method works very well. Just make sure that the shocks can't hit the frame during articulation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Thanks miniwally /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. I didn't think about the shocks hitting the frame /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.