Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock hoop height question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by one, Sep 19, 2002.

1. one

one Registered Member

I have 12" 2.O fox shocks and a four inch leaf spring lift in the front end of my k5. How do I determine the height of the shock hoops I'm making? If I set it at mid compression will that work? is it better to have more droop(negative travel?)
    thanks for any info and tips.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Measure the distance at rest from your bump stop to where it touches your axle. Add 2" to your measurement for bump stop crush and the other inch for safety so as not to bottom out your shock. This is your up travel for the faster desert running where articulation is not as important. For articulation your going to have to figure out the difference between your bump stop and the shock location as flexing the rig and measuring actual up travel at the shock might be a better route.

Afterthought, then check your down travel and see if your making good use of it... if you don't plan to gain any more suspension travel, you could center out the difference but most people eventually get more down travel later on. Desert trucks tend to have a little more down travel than up travel, also helps to keep the center of gravity low at rest.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Thanks for answering that. I've been wanting to ask that for awhile.

4. one

one Registered Member

Thanks for the info! much appreciated.