Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Aug 8, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

We all know this can be a pain, I just found out the blazer I have has never had the shocks changed on it. I went to install some new ones and ran into a few problems.
    1. Passanger side rear shock, bottom bolt. I got the nut to break and took the nut off, but when I try to remove the bolt it acts like the rubber bushing has been melted to the bolt. No matter how hard I hit it the bolt will not budge. And I don't have a torch so I can't cut the bolt. Any suggestions?
    2. Driverside rear shock, top bolt. How the heck do you break the nut? The nut is facing the pasanger side and you have about 2 1/2 to 3" between your frame and the body of the blazer. (those with the late model blazers will know what I'm talking about). I have air tools but the nut is 1" and my (I call it butterfly air tool) air tool (the one with the real skinny flat head, not a gun, resembles the shape of a spoon) is 3/8" and my 1" deepweel impact socket is 1/2". Any Ideas on how to break this?

I'm going to attempt the front tonight, any suggestions that I should keep an eye out for?
    Thanks

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

On the passenger side bottom try and spin the bolt in the bushing, maybe spray it with WD-40 first. On the drivers side try and get a vise grip on the nut on the inside and spin the bolt from the outside. I just checked mine and my nut is on the outside. I can't remember if I did that when I changed them or if that was the way they were.
    On the passenger side if nothing else works grind the steel around the bushing (you were'nt planning on saving these shocks were you?) then you can cut the bushing with a knife.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You could grind the bolt off with a grinder.
    Boss

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

On the front, there should be a nut on both sides. It is kinda like a stud (threaded on both ends)that you install thru the frame and then put a nut on, then on the other side you slide the shock on and then nut it. You shouldnt have to take the nut off the inside, unless you wanted to replace the whole shock stud. There should be a nut on the outside that you can remove and slide the shock off. hope this helps....

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

5. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

On the front this happened to me and when i did the shocks on my stepdads old f 250. take a chisel and brake the top of the shock in half, I mean the part where the bolt goes thru, the metal. Then just pry off the metal and cut the rubber. For the back, i think those nuts are welded to the frame, cause when i did my shocks they didnt move at all.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy