Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock length on rear with 4" lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bp71k5, May 29, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi,

I just got the 4" shakle flip installed and the shocks that came with the kit seem too long to me. With the weigh of the truck on the ground, the shock only has ~4" of travel left before it's fully compressed. Once I put the seats and gear in the back, there won't be any travel left.

Anyone have any menasurements for how long the shock should be for a 4-6" lift on a 71k5? The Tuff Country web site lists the part numbers as correct so either they put the wrong shocks in the box, or my truck isn't a stock frame, or one of us is just dumb. Hopefully not the last one. :)

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is easy enough for you to figure out. Start by taking a measurement from the center of the upper mount to the center of the lower mount while the truck is sitting on flat ground with all weight in the vehicle. Now find a shock that has the correct ends that would put the shock travel in the middle of your measurement. For instance if you have 20" center to center and the shock has 8" of travel you need a shock that would be 24" extended and 16" collapsed.

3. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think I've got it worked out. The PO already rotated the axle to correct for pinion angle so the shock mount it rotated up closer so stock length shocks aren't quite perfect. If i stick with Tuff Country, their specks list a shock that leaves me 5" of compression at ride height (with no passengers), and plenty of extension. But the next shorter shock I can get another couple inches of compression, but the shock would be competely extended at full droop (~1" too short). Neither is perfect, but which one's the best compromise?

4. eblick

eblick 1/2 ton status

Get some Bilsteins! They have all kinds of shock lengths, travel, valving.