Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Lengths

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PROFESSORSK5, Mar 16, 2004.

1. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I need to replace the shocks on my 89 K5 blazer with a 6" suspension lift and 35 (soon to be 36" or 37")tires. I have been looking at Bilstien 5150 series shocks. The problem is they are sold by how far they expand not by what vehicle they fit on. Does anybody know what size shock I would put on my truck? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Depends on what you're running for mounts. There really isn't much in the way of long travel shocks for stock mounts, especially up front.

Before you spend a dime on shocks, get yourself some Ford towers up front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Cycle the suspension and find out what shock length you need.

There is the highly technical, take out all of the leaves except the main leaf, replace with a wood block the same thickness as the leaves you took out, then jack the vehicle up and measure.

For something not as hardcore as a race truck, jack the vehicle up, let the axle droop to it's full potential and measure that way. It's not hard, but you will probably have to get a shock that is just a tad short at extended length if you are using the stock shock mounts. Nothing you can do about it except be careful or run limiting straps.

4. PROFESSORSK5

What I did is call Bilstein's tech department, explained my problem and they gave me the correct part numbers for the shockes. I only ordered the rear shocks though. I have a tow package blazer so I already have four shocks up front, but I would like more info from you on the Ford shock mounts. Thank you for responding so quickley and sorry it took me so long to write back.

5. PROFESSORSK5

Thanks also to Bubba Ray for your suggestion. If I would't have gotten any answers from Bilstein, I would used you sugestion. Thanks