Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Life Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Aug 22, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I have an '85, fairly stock, that the P.O. put Edelbrock shocks on it around '92. Since then around 50-60k miles have been added. This is mostly a DD, with some trail action. My question is, how long should these shocks last? How do I know if they need replacing? What would be a good/inexpensive replacement?(if needed) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull one end loose, and see what kind of resistance they put up when you try to extend and retract them. If the movement is poorly "damped", replace them.

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So if they are hard to move replace them?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Sorry I was worndering the samething.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I believe as shocks wear, they provide less and less resistance which would cause your ride to be bouncy as nothing would stop the springs.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hard to move=good, at least for the most part.

When they move freely, you have no dampening effect, which is what they are there for.

A somewhat arbitrary test is to get the suspension moving by bouncing up and down on the front or rear bumper, then hop off and see how many times it keeps moving up and down. After you jump off, the vehicle shouldn't move more than 3 times.

Again, I'm not sure if that is an accurate test of all shocks, but I can tell on my truck the difference between working and non-working when I hit a speed bump...two bounces and the truck is settled back down.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would just go ahead and replace them. 50k+ miles and 10 years is a lot wear and time. You have definatly got your moneys worth.
    In my opinion for good, reasonable replacements. Get a set of Gaberial LT shocks whth VST valving. They are only around 30.00 each. They ride good and work great on or off road. I think they are way better than Rancho 5000s/Monroes or other compairable priced shocks.
    If there is a Carquest near by they carry them.

7. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I figured that I was pushing their life expectancy. As for rebound, I have none. When I get on the bumper, I can barely make the damn truck move. rides like it has no springs or shocks. Time to "spring" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif for the lift and shocks....sshhhh don't tell my wife. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif