Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock location question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Feb 15, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok at first i ran dual shocks in rear, but now im getting ready to put new axles under neath my blazer, and i want to run only single shocks in rear, i want to locate them above my rear pumpkin, and have them running out towards the drum. are there universal measuremtns to where i can place them, or do i have to test flex with no shocks and measure length and so on, i dont really know how to do this, just heard people talk about it, need a lil help, do i need special brackets? what kinda shocks to run? that sorta thing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

in a perfect world you'd prolly have to do all kinds of measuring while flexed, not flexed etc. me? I just mounted them at about half of the shocks travel while the rig was resting on flat pavement and called it good. My upper mounts (made by 55willy) are adjustable, so if I get diff shocks or decide to mount the ones I have differently, its just a matter of bolting the new ones on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif pics on webshots,

j

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I fabbed my own shock mounts and did some measuring and some eyeballing. I measured the bottom at the axle and eyeballed the upper on the ribs on the floor.

I could have measured, but I was running out of time and decided to short cut it there. LOL! I would say my rear shocks are w/in a few degrees of eachother.

Heres a half decent shot of the rear. Rear shocks.

I was still building, and some stuffs not done. Like my vent line wired up to hold it out of the way while I was working on it. But the shocks ARE done in that pic. I have a few more views of them in different pics if ya wanna look at my album.