Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Mount Carnage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 25, 2001.

I took out the truck last week and on one of the bumps I broke the upper shock mount on the rear drivers side. It was a bracket that was mounted to the top of the frame rail with rivots, however I looked at another K5 87 I think and the rear shock was actually bolted to the frame rail itself.

Can I relocate the mount somewhere else, if so has anyone done this to an 84 or similar model. Or should I just take it to a welder and have them weld it back in the original position. Also will that be strong enough?

Thanks for any help on this.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I would do a relocation myself, but then again I just got done welding up both rear upper mounts after breaking them until I do the deed. There's a good write up on the site about extended shock mounts. Look it up, but there is welding involved.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Cracking and brakeing the rear shock mounts is fairly common problem. I welded up the cracks, ground them down, then welded a washer on too. That seamed to work pretty well. (I have since relocated the shocks all togather, but thats another story) I'd check both sides, check for cracks around the bolt holes and have them rewelded, if you can't weld them yourself, take it to a shop to have it done. I would probably just rebolt the plate back onto the frame, If you decide to move the shocks around later, you can just unbolt the plate. Use widest washers you can fit on both sides, make sure the washers are NOT the same size. I think the problem is because the bolt is not suported on both sides, if you can fabricate a bracket or something to "trap" the other side of the shock (like what is done on the front shocks) it would help keep the stress down.

I hope that was clear enuff to read.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 06/25/01 09:30 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Flyin Hi sells a beefy replacement for $35....got it at there fab shop...installed it when i did my TBI swap and the tank was down....as thick as it is i really don't think it'll ever be a problem again.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

4. AZ, is that Flyin Hi in Mesa?

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

5. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

I had the same thing happen to my 87. It was the rear drivers side also, and it mounted to the top of the frame rail with rivits. I took mine to a local welder and he welded it right in his drive way (After putting a welders blanket over the tank). He laid the rod on really thick then I shot it black with a rattle can and have'nt had any problems since.

Hope that helps!

Bowtied

Almost forgot, The guy charged me 30 bucks.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bowtied on 06/27/01 06:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend's is also cracked becuase the !@#@! that owned the truck before him didn't know how to tighten up the upper mount correctly. We used some large washers and tightened the @#$# out of it. He had a welder and would could have fixed it with that but it seems that what we did is better.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

You can buy them at the Mesa store...the sell out fast so they sent me to their fab shop to pick one up from the source...and while i was there i picked up my missing 76 Chalet rear deluxe bumper for $50...what a nice place to shop....lol.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!