Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Mount dilema

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, Nov 30, 2001.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I was installing new RS5000s today cause I installed the TC 4 in. kit awhile back and ran into a little problem. I'm having problems taking off one of the rear shocks. It seems that the top rear shock mount has a welded bolt which in theory is supposed to stay stationary so all you have to do is unscrew the nut and remove the shock. I guess the weld in mine has since broken, cause the bolt is spinning around. The other one came off fine, cause the weld is still in place. It is impossible to get a wrench in there to hold the bolt in place, cause the head is hidden by the mount itself. I thought about removing the rivets to the shock mount, but it looks like a total pain in the ass! Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove this bolt???

Blazin' in TEXAS!

2. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

Cut the shock off the bolt with a sawzall. Then reweld the stud to prevent it from turning.

3. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

DOH! Why didn't I think of that?? LOL

Blazin' in TEXAS!

4. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

This sounds funny, but the same thing has happened to me and I have been running around with that one stock for a while now and it didn't even occur to to cut the damn thing... thats funny... thanks for the tip...

72 Chevy Blazer, 327, SM-465, NP 205, 4in lift, 35 in tires
    Was About to put in 400 SBC/ 700-R4
    Now trying to go 454/ 400/ 205 setup