Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock mount location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by digity, Jan 25, 2005.

1. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have a 90Jimmy, going to swap axles, ff14bolt rear. Question is, it's a 2wheel drive axle. I've been told because of the lower mount location vrs. a 4wheel axle I would be fine unless I'm doing a lift. We'll obviously I'm doing a lift or wouldn't be swaping axles. Looking to run 35's on 16's with 6inch lift, no block, springs. Will I be ok or is it definte I would need to relocate mounts, would like to know B4 hand so I can do it while it's off. Also, hope I don't sound silly but could I flip shock so that tube is on top insteat of bottom hoping that shock won't hit axle, I've seen it B4.:confused:

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the right way to do it is to mount the shock w/ them on the rig at ride height so u can tell were they need to be. i didn't have a welder at the house when i did my 1st 14ff so i just rotated the shock mount around the axle tube were it would not hang down lower than the bottum of the tube.

some shocks can be mounted body up, but most can't, u will need to contact the manuf. & ask them to know for sure