Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock mount question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 25, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I put on my front shocks, but forgot to put in the metal bushing thing that goes in the rubber bushing on the f. So, when I used the impact to tighten the bolt, it distorted the sides of the shock mount together. I'm talking about the axle side, not the frame side.
    This isn't a big deal, I suppose, but I'd like to open the gap back up so I could install the metal sleeve in the shock bushing like I was supposed to. I'm at a loss for what to use to get in there and force the shock mount back out all the way. It's thick metal and a prybar didn't even touch it.
    Any ideas?
    -- Mike

2. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Hey MIke,
    I had an idea. What about putting a bolt through the mount with two nuts and washers on the inside of the mount. You could turn the nuts with an open end wrench and force the edges of the mount outward. Good luck,
    JT

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

You can also use threaded rod if the bolt threads don't span the whole width of the mount.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I had a similar issue for the bottom mounts on the rear axle. I used a 5 pound sledge hammer-light taps. I suspect if you try to do all the movement / correction @ once, the metal will give out-either immediately or while you're on the trail. Be gentle, mine's still working ok.

I do like the idea of using opposing bolts bolts though.

Good Luck,
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just get out the 12-inch adjustable wrench, adjust it down to where is just slips over the mount tab, slip it over and pull. Quick and simple. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>