Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock mount rivets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 25, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well I finall gotmy new shock mount today ($9) and i started taking the old one off and it is almost impossible. There are 4 rivets in there and they are a major PITA. I spent 2 hours on it with the sawzall and only have 2 of them off. Does anyone know a better way to do this? I sawed the top off of them, but I didn't get enough of it so I had to go under, which sawed a little off the top of the frame and took forever. I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow.

90K5

2. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

I assume you're referring to the left rear shock bracket. I just got a new one from GM (except I paid $12) and have this project coming up soon. Wasn't too happy to hear that it's a PITA job. I plan on picking up a grinding attachment for my drill and tackling this in the next few days. Hopefully it'll go better for me cause I have a 3" body lift to give me a little more room. (Just don't reply back that you have a body lift too - I may cry). I'm also getting a new plate welded to the inside of my frame rail on the passenger side for that shock mount. Oh the joy of previous owners not doing stuff the right way. - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you guys tried drilling the head of the rivet? Thats the easy way to get rid off those things. If you can approximate the size of the rivet ( the part that goes through the frame not the head of the rivet) and use either the same size drill bit or one size up. Just center punch the rivet head and drill it until the head is removed. then punch the remainder through the backside. Or if you have air tools use an air chisel to remove the head and punch the rest through.

Rene (removed more rivets than I care to remember LOL)

[​IMG]

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I still get pissed off when I think about those rotten bodymount bolts. Damn, those sucked!!!
    The rivets you are talking about go in from the top. They where installed at the factory before the body was put on I guess. Get a grinder with a really large blade. Cover the gas tank with wet blankets. Use protective eye-glasses. Go for the braket first, then the rivet-heads... Take that sucker out[​IMG][​IMG]

Dont skimp on good tools, buy as many high-speed, high quality drill bits as you need then 6 more. Change them when you feel they loose the slightest bite. Let the tools do the work!!

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i saved $3 cause I know a guy that owns a dealer and he gives me the dealer discount. Its like 25%

90K5

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well I tried to punch out the rivets but I had a really bad angle so I just left the rest of them in there and decided to drill a hole in the frame so I measure the bolt and its 9/16 so I go to Home Depot and got one. I get home and drill it and it doesn't fit. That drill bit was like $18. I got some old spade bit for wood that was 5/8 but is now 9/16 after the frame, so now the bolt goes thru but not straight because I was working in the dark and I drilled where the frame has a bend in it. I got my shock on, but its compressed way too far and I'm afraid it'll bottom out and f#$% up my frame. This has been a really bad day. I picked up my creeper and the back end of it made a huge @$$ scratch down my newly painted door. I also kicked a hole in the garage wall. I have the shock mount, would it be that bad if I just welded it on?

90K5

7. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

A grinding attachment for your drill??? Where can I get one of those?

Dawson
    88 K5

9. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Last Christmas the wife bought me a cordless Craftsman drill and Sears has a variety of attachments for drills.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew