Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jan 2, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

My rear drivers side shock mount broke again after wheeling this weekend. I had it welded last week, but obviously it didn't hold. Is this a GM replacement part? Do I have to deal with the idiots at the Chevy dealer for this? :( Anyone else having this problem?

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Top or bottom one?

ken

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Oops, forgot - it is the top mount (on the frame).

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is the stud breaking or is it tearing out of the frame? I noticed the frame cracking around the stud on one of my K5's. A welding shop welded on some fishplate on the back side of the frame, on both sides of the stud. Never had a problem again.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem on my '84. I had it welded, but it finally broke. You can buy the replacement mount from the dealer for $12. You have to drop the tank and drill or torch out the old rivets, which is the hardest part. Overall, not that tough, just really time consuming.

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought...damn, and I just had the tank down for the ORD shackle flips! Just what I wanted to do, drop it again! :( Ken had an idea that he uses - drill the frame and just put in a shock stud like the passengers side uses! he said it works well on his Suburbans and even gives him a bit more droop because it is lower. I think I will try that. Thanks guys.